- Develop Magazine lets us know that Sony have finally spilled the beans to consumers on firmware v2.40, due this Wednesday:
"After having filled developers in on the details two weeks ago at its DevStation events, Sony has today revealed the features of its 2.40 PS3 firmware to consumers.
The new firmware includes support for in-game Trophies, Sony’s take on Xbox Live-style achievements, with 'many online games' set to feature platinum, gold, silver and bronze trophies. UK-developed games set to feature Trophy support include Buzz! Quiz TV, LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.
The other main addition to firmware 2.40 is the in-game cross media bar (XMB), which allows people to check their friends list to see who's online and send messages while inside the game. The Friends list will also double in size, now supporting up to 100 entries."
- Joystiq show us the official PS3 Bluetooth Headset, (and it's about time Sony!)
"SOCOM Confrontation's retail release will include a Bluetooth headset, Sony reconfirmed today -- this time with pictures. While similar to the Jabra headset packaged inside Warhawk's box (and later removed), SOCOM's offering actually appears to be well-designed and, in fact, PlayStation-branded. Features include a prominent Mute button, USB charging cradle, and extended battery life. Sony has neither finalized the design nor priced a standalone model, but the SOCOM bundle is rumored to fetch $80."
- PS3 Fanboy gets wind of a News and Weather channel for the PS3 which will be something to compete with the Wii:
"A weather and news service was also revealed as part of a new Life With PlayStation brand. This will feature an interactive globe showing real time weather reports and headlines from all over the world. This feature will also support geo-tagged photos (awesome) and other features which will be released over time. Again, we'll probably hear more about this whole Life With PlayStation brand at E3."
- Joystiq mentions the upcoming PS3 movie download service:
"Sony PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai has announced a movie download service is coming to the PS3 this summer for the US, with similar service for Europe and Japan at a later date. Hirai told reporters (via TMC) that more details will be announced month, presumably at E3. The first images of the program were found via Hirai's presentation on the Sony's corporate site (PDF file via PS Beyond)."
- PS3 Fanboy has some leaked images of the Sony Trophy system. - They basically show a similar setup to the gamercard you get on Xbox 360. - I can tell you now that those are real, but mock-ups. Expect things to change for the final release.
- A free peice of software, Metal Gear Solid 4 Database, will be going up on the European PSN Store on Thursday, (26th June.) - It's an interactive encyclopedia meant to guide players through the epic saga, stuffed with facts. It will even check your MGS4 progress so as not to reveal spoilers.
- Firmware v2.36 is out now with some stability fixes for certain PS1 titles. - More interestingly, Sony also let us know that v2.40 will finally add in-game XMB and trophy support, (similar to Xbox achievements.)